Saturday, September 4, 2010

Nono

Yesterday Ben and I walked around Cumbaya, which is the town where my university is, about a 20 minute bus ride away from Quito. It was nice to be in a small town again, I missed the "country" and the small town atmosphere. Then we came home, rested and then went out again. We rode the bus to the mall to meet a few other people. So it was Ben, Jeff and I about to board the bus. We saw it was pretty full but Ben got on anyway. He squished himself on there so there was no room for Jeff and I. Probably the funniest moment of the day, watching Ben leave while completely smashed into the bus. The next bus came, also very crowded. Jeff and I got on and didn't even need to use the bars or railings because there were so many other people around that we just stood there, not moving. Talk about lack of personal space. So funny. We eventually got to the mall, found everyone, and then they all went out but I was tired so came home.

This morning I woke up at good ol' 6am and went to go to a hacienda in a town called Nono, about an hour's bus ride away. Rode the windy mountain roads that reminded me a lot of riding around in Guatemala, only I was in a bus which made me car sick instead of standing in the back of a pick-up truck. We got to this small town and walked in a pasture to this house. The view from there was spectacular, rolling hills and mountains everywhere with cows, horses, pigs, etc. Let's just say we were provided with some beverages and games where the winners/losers had to drink said beverages in amount. Everyone had to drink them. But it was fun, nonetheless. We played "traditional Ecuadorian games" aka sack race, wheel barrow race, spin around on a pole and try to run, climbing stuff- although 2 members of each team had to climb this pole that was covered in lard so it was slippery and had to try to make it as high as possible. It was really entertaining. Then lunch, then we just hung out amongst the clouds. Like the clouds began coming down and then just stayed for the rest of the time we were there. So cool but then it also got freezing! I think I got sunburnt today. Dang equator sun.

The ride home was very windy and mountainous and I still feel a bit dizzy and car sick after it. I shall go rest and go to bed early tonight after this long day of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment