Sunday, December 19, 2010

Montanita

This weekend we decided to go to the hippie beach town of Montanita. Took a night bus which wasn't a bad way to spend a night since I just sleep on buses anyway to try to not have motion sickness. Basically all we did was sit on the beach, the gross beach with LOTS of creepers creeping. We also rode the waves. First time I've been to a beach with surfers everywhere. Or been body surfing in such powerful waves. But it was incredible.

I would go out in the water. First of all, salt water is not enjoyable, sorry to say. But anyway, the waves were the biggest I've ever ridden. Some were a good 5 feet above the water line. Waited for a while for a good wave to pass by, then would ride it. Never got super far, but got super torn up and flipped around by those waves. My hair suffocated me multiple times and I would come up, gasping for air, and a wave would come and smack me in the face. Good times.

We stayed in Montanita for a few days then Friday morning 4 of us decided to take a plane back to have more time in Quito. So we got to the airport, found the cheapest flight ($80 ugh) and checked in, ate some sketchy Chinese food, went through security where I had to check a bag because I forgot I had a Swiss Army Knife in my bag. My bad... Haha. Waited around for a bit, looking for Gate 4 but it had a different airline completely on the TV behind it. We asked Gate 4 where our plane was, they told us to go to Gate 3. Went to Gate 3, they told us to go back to 4. Confusion. Basically what happened was there wasn't a plane for us, a physical actual plane was not to be found. So instead of leaving at 3, having a 30 minute flight and getting home by 4, we left Guayaquil around 5- finally. Got on the plane, flew for a while, then the pilot came on the microphone and said "Due to bad weather in Quito, the airport is closed until at least 6pm. We're going to turn back to Guayaquil now." It was 5:20 at this point. So that's what we did. Then we sat in the Guayaquil airport for hours, eating overpriced Chex Mix and waited until about 9 when we finally got to leave. Needless to say, if we had just taken a bus, we would have gotten back half an hour before we did via plane, for about an eighth of the price. Good times.

And I got lots of weird bites all over my face. My face looks like a pepperoni pizza with all the bites/zits going on. Not pleased.

Oh well. Ecuastyle.

No comments:

Post a Comment