Monday, December 13, 2010

2 weeks left

Today marks my day with 2 weeks left in Ecuador. I cannot believe it. People are starting to leave and have already left, and I read their facebook status's about being home and it's so weird! The first month or so was really slow. Lots of new things. Lots of places to go. The language was overwhelming and everything was brand new. But once I got into the swing of things, everything has flown by. Especially the last month. I haven't done anything too substantial. No crazy journeys to the jungle, only one trip out of Quito to Otavalo for the 3rd time haha but other than that just lots of Quito time. I feel really comfortable here. I still am cautious when I know I have something valuable on me. I actually brought my laptop to school today to take an exam. But I've just learned that being street smart is just being aware of your surroundings, knowing what you have to lose, and keeping it safe. Blending in is the best way to do that, even though whenever we walk around, we always talk loudly in English which draws attention but we're normally fine.

I'm done with my semester! As of about 10 minutes ago I turned in my last paper and can fully enjoy the rest of my time here. Not that I didn't fully enjoy my time thus far, but I don't have any schoolwork left. Definitely the worst semester thus far as for my grades. Hopefully it doesn't matter too much, I think only one matters for grades for my GPA and the others will show up on my transcripts and hopefully won't matter too much. The learning I've done since I've been here has been amazing and I'm sure it'll reveal itself to me in the upcoming months and years. More about taht when I get home. I still have 2 weeks.

Plans for the next 2 weeks:
Leave tonight at 10pm for Montanita. The hippie beach.
Return Fridayish sometime.
Hang out with everyone on Saturday before most people leave Sunday
Mom comes Sunday night.
Monday hang out with Mom and my friend Jeff and his family
Tuesday do the same
Wednesday head for the Galapagos until Sunday!!!!!!!!
Monday the 27th head home.

I didn't think I'd be this ready to go home and this excited for Mom to come down. Thanksgiving was rough because all my family was together and I couldn't be there. So I'm incredibly glad she's going to be here. I've never ever spent a birthday or Christmas away from my mother. How many people can say that? Very few.

The next two weeks will be filled with all sorts of emotions. Excitement for Mom to come and to go back to the States. Sad to leave these wonderful people I've met from my friends to my host family. Scared and curious for the future. Pure joy to go to the Galapagos. Probably many more I'm forgetting. But I'm going to live it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment