Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Violencia Domestica

Today in Gender and Society we talked about domestic violence/gender violence/violence against women. Lots of names, none of them are completely accurate. For some reason this topic was pretty interesting and captivating to me, even though I didn't voice my opinion in class. I didn't realize how prevalent it is. 500 women died in Spain between 1999 and 2004 because of it, but many more didn't die but still were abused. It's not just physical, can be verbal as well. We then read a story by a girl who had genital mutilation surgery as a child and how it affected her. I'm more thankful that I don't live in an area where that is culturally accepted. It makes me feel bad for all the people who have this happen to them, though.

It also makes me think that many people are not treated how they should be. Everyone is different, yes. But so many people don't have legs or arms or are psychologically affected by all of this.

Just something to think about :)

No comments:

Post a Comment