Tuesday, October 26, 2010

La Casa de Rafa

I went to lunch at this really awesome restaurant called La Casa de Rafa which was in Tumbaco, a town about an hour away, just past Cumbaya where my school is. We went way into the mountains/country to this random awesome house where the restaurant was. It has a normal restaurant with brunch and lunch and maybe dinner? The house itself was really cool. But we decided to take it to the next level- eat in a cave. In complete darkness. To get the complete sensory experience. With waiters who were blind. And it was awesome.

It was definitely hard to eat in the dark. I had to feel around the table to find my fork, knife, plate. Find my glass, guide my face to it, take a drink, make sure nothing was beneath it and put it down. Had to use my hands to eat even though I ordered meat with rice and a weird cauliflower sou-flee.

I have so much respect for blind people now. Not that I didn't before, but they have such a hard life. I think I realized before that I'd rather be deaf than blind. You could at least get around and read and know what family and friends look like, but not hear music and voices and waves crashing and birds singing.

But anyway, living like a blind person for 2 hours was a great experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment