Thursday, October 7, 2010

Strange week.

Well, after the whole Coup thing happened, everything pretty much went back to normal. The next day I didn't have school but I was so glad about that because I had a history test I hadn't really studied for.

Friday my host uncle called me and asked if I wanted to go to the cloud forest with him and Valerie. We said yes, went there and stayed at my dream house. Literally this house was adorable. So many little details that just made it homey and awesome. Like the sink had painted flowers in it, it had an old bathtub for the shower, lots of antiques and little cool trinkets, hammocks, wraparound porch, great view, in the middle of nowhere. Perfect. We went to the town of Nanegalito to try to find fritado (fried pork, I think) but they were out. So we went to a discoteca, meaning a little hut in the middle of nowhere off the side of the road with a bar, colored lights, a DJ, the whole works. Stayed there for a while and we probably looked kind of sketchy- an old guy with two younger girls next to him? Haha. Oh well. Still was fun. Next day we woke up, had a great breakfast on the porch and then went to the Teleferico. Now, the teleferico is basically a ski lift going up the mountain and they're pretty common in Ecuador. This one, however, was made out of plastic lawn chairs and old seatbelts. Had some metal parts, too, but it was definitely not the most legit thing in the world. Had some good views and climbed a tower without being completely scared (getting over my fear a bit!) and then walked around the fish pond to look at the pretty flowers. We then went back to the house for some lunch and then went across the street to have these two kids, Natalie and David show us around the property. There were a bunch of cabanas that were awesome- some had 3 story bunk beds! Then we went to go bowling. In the forest. Near a river. On a wooden bowling alley. So legit! So fun! Then we left and came back to Quito.

Sunday I was home alone because someone died in the family. I love being home alone here. So much. But I was pretty productive and found internet in my room again! Score.

Monday I took the worst exam in a while. But the thing was, it wasn't fair at all. It was over material that we didn't focus on, didn't really explain in class and wasn't covered in the reading she gave us. Instead, it was obscure events that I had to research on Wikipedia the night before. NOT COOL. I still don't know the outcome of this. We shall see.

The rest of the week I've been pretty lazy but I haven't had much homework since my classes all had exams recently. So I've been watching movies, going out on Tuesday to quiz night at an irish bar called Finn Mccools- my friend's favorite bar. Never knew I knew so much about Canada or inventors. But I do. It was really fun.

I feel like everyone else is busy which makes me feel even more like a bum. Oh well. I'll get busy sometime.

This weekend I'm going to my friend Brian's host family's resort on the beach near Esmeraldas but it's near a reserve of some kind so that should be fun. Nice and relaxing since I need more relaxation. But I like most everyone going. Should be great.

1 comment:

  1. Remind me to tell you about the legend of Finn McCool that I learned in Ireland when you return home! Have a Guinness for me next time you're there ;). ¡Que tenga una buen fin de semana en Ecuador! ¡Vamos Verde!

    Juan

    ReplyDelete