Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Orientation

Today was orientation. Left at like 7am to walk about 5 blocks (my family said it was 2... no) to the bus stop. It's really easy to get to and from campus on the busses that wind up and down the mountains. My motion sickness loves it so I'll have to wear my sea bands or something on the bus rides.

We went to school today, and the campus is absolutely beautiful. We listened to a bunch of talks and one of them said the campus is like living in Laguna Beach surrounded by the rest of the world. I'll have to take photos of it. But it's weird that it's so small- completely different from MSU!

There were lots of talks today. First about emotional aspects of studying abroad, health concerns meaning we're going to get explosive diarrhea at some point (sorry for being so graphic. it happens) and we had one on culture, history of ecuador (they've had 8 presidents since 1996 so it's pretty stable here...) acclimation, and the longest one was on crime. He's the US Embassy Ambassador (I think) or does something with special services here. He's been all around the world and was basically there to tell us all the facts straight up and to kind of scare us half to death. He started talking about pickpocketing, then went to robbery, then armed robbery, then sexual assault, kidnapping, and told us areas to avoid. Gave us tips to not carry many valuables on us, to only ride in very well marked taxis or to call a taxi from a company because a lot of theft happens in taxis. Oh, and Ecuador is in the critical state of security. Sorry Mom and Dad, but I'll use my best judgment and always travel with someone.

I was able to ride the bus home with Valenta and Ben which was good. Maria del Carmen, who is my advisor here, met with the 3 of us to talk about things and to eat pizza. Delicious and it was good to get to know the "team" of advisors there and they're all extremely nice.

I might be on the verge of getting sick. Not quite sure if I will but it's a possibility. Hoping for the best but I know it will happen eventually.

I think the thing I dislike most is that I never know what's going on. I just drift when people tell me things. I'm learning I'm a visual learner and all this auditory information being thrown at me, especially in very fast Spanish, is really overwhelming. I need things written down. Like when people tell me directions, both here and in the States, I need to see them written down or see a map to understand. But when someone says okay, go up this street and turn left and go a ways to the car dealership and turn right and thats where the bus stop is (ps thats how i get to the bus stop) I don't understand. But now I understand since I've been there.

I have no idea what I'm doing tonight. I have class at 9 tomorrow so I'll have to leave by like 8:20 I think. I just don't want to go out at night yet. I should've done something during the day with people but maybe I'll read or something. Once school starts I should have more to do and I'll meet people so that will be better.

Cultural immersion at the finest.

No comments:

Post a Comment