Friday, April 1, 2011

People

One of the most drastic differences is the way I look at people. I'm now able to see everyone as pretty equal. Everyone has faults, everyone has wonderful qualities. No one person is better than the other, but some think that. Some of the happiest people I've met were also the most economically poor, with tattered clothes and little to their name. This all sounds so cliche but it's so very true.

Take Anderson, for example. He was a five year old boy who came to the after school program at Munequitos school in Lumbisi, a small farming community not too far from the town where my university was located. His clothes never fit him, his shirt was always dirty, and the zipper on his pants always fell down. He was a little bit behind in school and never seemed very interested in learning, but he was so happy and loving. Maybe he just craved attention and the volunteers at the school were the only ones to give him some. He was always climbing over someone and sitting on someone's lap. I know he didn't mean to, but he just exuded love toward us. He just needed people and he made every day of volunteering more interesting and worthwhile. I still don't know the impact he had on me, but he made me feel needed.

I'm drastically more understanding and accepting of people's differences. Race, disabilities, language barriers, economic status, and other qualities that normally divide people are now purely people, and it doesn't matter their status in life because they're just people who are all special.

Everyone strives for something. A lot of people strive for money. We all need things in our lives- food, water, shelter, heat in the winter, and clothing. But to what extent do we have to have everything be fancy? It's nice to have a great meal, clean water, a space heater and nice clothes. But these are not necessities. As much as I try to eliminate material possessions from my life, I can't get rid of everything or many things. I wish I could, but I'm stuck in the material world and I am a material girl.

Some people strive for a good time. Most of the time that involves alcohol. That fact... is the same in both the US and Ecuador. I still realize I don't need it to have fun and everything that comes with it, but it's good to experience different things at different times. Lots of people all around the world do, but I only want to every once in a while.

I like differences. And change now. And that's a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment